2009-04-14

Subversion hosted Issue tracker

Gregoire Welraeds wrote:
>> I'm looking for subversion hosted bug tracker. That is why I
>> mentioned DITrack and subissue in my previous post. I have the feeling that this >> 2 projects are stalled.
> Why do you want to use a tool for something it doesn't do well?
For a few reasons, among others:
  • Change Requests/issues are tightly related to the code source. IMO, they could even be part of the code, like comments and documentation are. Change request could be stored directly in Subversion repository, next to the source.
  • It could enforce teams to work with an issues tracker. To some extend, Subversion commits comments are just an extension of a Change Request description.
  • Subversion is very good at manipulating text files and their modifications. Why should I use something else?
  • There should be no need to setup additional infrastructure for basic needs of issue tracking. Why should I be using a third party software for something which is part of my code, especially if it is bundled with a third party database.
  • It would let me work while being offline. Once online: svn update . / svn commit . to import my modifications to the issue tracker.
  • A tight integration of an issue tracker in subversion would let us benefits from the inherent features of the VCS and stronger the interaction between the two. For instance, I could branch my change requests tree while creating a feature branch in the code. I could easily filter the changes requests by branches, be it maintenance, development, feature branches without having to artificially created the same in an external third tool.
As a release manager with a team of 10 developers using Seapine TestTrack Pro*, I always end up to look at svn logs to document the release. These are only thoughts but I'm sure there are other advantages of having both VCS and Issue tracker integrated. BTW, the idea is not
mine: see subissue, DITrack or even Fossil scm.

* With subversion integration.
For the above mentioned projects see:
Subissue
DITrack
Fossil
Follow the remaining of this discussion on the Subversion users mailing list archives.